St Thomas started out as a settlement in 1865 and grew to a small town of farms, stores, and even had its own post office. After the completion of Hoover Dam and with the water rising behind the dam, the last person left St Thomas on June 11,1938 (see water photos on NPS web site). Because of a decade of droughts in the southwest, the current levels of water in Lake Mead are about 120' below its maximum levels obtained in 1983 causing St Thomas once again to be exposed.
The National Park Service has done a great job in making this place accessible to the public so please respect the townsite and do not remove any artifacts that you may come across. There is a 2.5 mile loop trail leading from a parking area to the townsite. The parking area is on a dirt road approximately 3.5 miles from the intersection of Northshore Rd. and Valley of Fire Hwy. For more information, call the Lake Mead Visitor Center (702) 293-8990.