A brief history: David and Emeline Huntsman were living in Hebron, Utah in 1871 when their first son James was born. In 1875 they moved to Gunlock, Utah where they remained until 1878. Then it was on to Nevada, first to Bunkerville until 1881 and then to St. Thomas. In 1891 the Huntsman family left St. Thomas to homestead a 160-acre ranch in the Meadow Valley Wash area, which became known as the “Kane Springs Ranch”.
By 1905 the railroad had been completed through to Caliente following the path of the Meadow Valley Wash. About this time Emeline Huntsman was also becoming known for her cooking, so it was not long before the ranch became a regular stopping place for passing trains. The above information and historical photo was taken with permission from Bob Wynn’s Ghost Town Seekers web site. For detailed information on the Huntsman Cabin, please visit his web site.